top of page

Provincial Nominee Program

Young Couple in Snow

The Provincial Nominee Program allows each province to select or nominate immigrants who will contribute to the particular labour and economic needs of that particular province. Each province is allowed to establish its own selection criteria and procedures to choose immigrants according to their ability to integrate and successfully settle in that province.

Minimum Requirements

To be eligible, you must

  • Meet the required language levels for each language ability in writing, reading, listening, and speaking.

  • Have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply

  • Meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification, except for needing a certificate of qualification

  • Have a

    • Valid job offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 year or

    • Certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority

Nursing Home

Skilled Work Experience

Skilled work experience for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades

  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades

  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production

  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators

  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks

  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers


The major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B.

You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

If you don’t show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, your application will be refused.



There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. But, if you want to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool, you got to get your education credentials assessed for its equivalency in Canada. Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result. They must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.

Proof Of Funds

You must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada.



You must be criminally and medically admissible to Canada.


Where You Can Live In Canada

You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec. The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information.

bottom of page