top of page

Canadian Experience Class

Professional Meeting
Young Female Portrait

The Canadian Experience Class is for skilled workers who have Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents.

Minimum Requirements


  • You must meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability in writing, reading, listening and speaking.

  • You must have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last 3 years before you apply, and the work experience must be full-time, or an equal amount in part-time. Have gained your work experience by working in Canada while under temporary resident status with authorization to work. Your work experience must be in the skill level 0, skill type A, or skill type B.

Business Woman

Please note that Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (even if you were on a co-op work term) doesn’t count towards the minimum requirements for this program.


Note: You are not eligible for CEC if you’re a refugee claimant in Canada, or you are working without authorization, or your work experience was gained without temporary status in Canada.

  • Be admissible to Canada

  • Plan to live outside the province of Quebec


There is no education requirement for the Canadian Experience Class. However if you want to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool for immigration purposes, You can get points if you finish a course of study in Canada or you can get points from a foreign education credentials.


Language Ability

You must meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for skill level 0 or skill type A jobs or Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for skill type B jobs. Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result and must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.

Successful Teenagers
bottom of page